Interact Leaders Club
If you're interested in applying for an Interact Scholarship, you can click here for the Criteria and here for the Application.
The Interact Leaders Club is rejuvenated! For further information, please e-mail Adriana Hopkins at: email@example.com. You can also obtain additional information through the club's Facebook page by clicking on this link: Interact Leaders Club or call the Bangor Y at 941-2815. Please see below for a partial schedule of club meetings.
Interact Leaders Club is open to anyone in 9th - 12 grade in the greater Bangor area. Meetings generally occur during the school year.
Meetings for 2012-13 will be on Tuesdays, 6 - 7:30 PM, at the Isaac Farrar Mansion of the Bangor Y. The meetings are held in the teen room on the 2nd Floor. All Rotarians are welcome to attend the meetings.
This year's officers are:
President - Nick Fournier
Vice President - Nils Wahlstrom
Secretary - Carli Poisson
Treasurer - Jordan Manzo
Membership Commitment to Interact Leaders Club:
- Attend and contribute at club meetings
- Commit to volunteering a minimum of 8 hours per month
- Model appropriate leadership behavior with the Y
- Be "Goodwill Leader Ambassadors" within the community
- Make attempts to collaborate with fellow leaders regarding volunteer projects
- Utilize, initiate productive thinking and determination to overcome challenges
- Be flexible and open-minded
- Be willing to take risks and have fun
Privileges of membership in Interact Leaders Club:
- Bangor Y 6-month youth membership after completion of the year's volunteer time (this can be renewed after only 10 additional hours of volunteer time)
- Use of the Bangor Y facilities
- Specialized training opportunities and certifications
- Opportunity to earn "Y Bucks" to use toward any Bangor Y program including Leaders School and other Bangor Y summer camp opportunities
- Use of the Interact Leaders Club room after school
- Exposure to employment opportunties
For next year the Interact Leaders Club hopes to:
- Have more community service hours
- Travel to England and continue a connection with Youth Sport Trust and the St. Marylebone Rotary Club
- Make a bigger impact on the greater Bangor community
- Have more success with our fundraisers and community projects
- Have a stronger bond with the Bangor Area Breakfast Rotary Club
Some of the Interact Leaders Club's past accomplishments:
For School Year 2011-2012:
- 1,756 volunteer hours have been completed/performed
- $1800 was sent to Free the Children to supply a school with the necessary supplies and staffing they need to support a school in Uganda
- Our donation to Free the Children was matched by a network of donors through the "Big Dreamers Award." The school now has $3600 to run the school.
- $5000 from the Maine Community Foundation was given to the Club to re-grant to grassroots organizations striving to better health and welfare in the Bangor area.
- 3 Club members traveled to England to participate in a leadership camp based on inclusion, volunteerism, and community service.
- We maintained communication with an Interact Club in Alexandria, Egypt. we are hoping to continue the connection for many years.
- $220 was raised to support the Maine Suicide Prevention Program. The money will be sent in a few weeks.
- Ran a successful Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser for Africare.org on 5/8/2010.
- Ran a bake sale and raised $70 for the Cookies for Kids Cancer organization.
- Ran a yard sale and raised $162.25 for scholars for 2011 Leaders School.
- Tie-dyed t-shirts, clothing, and linens to the Barbara Bush Chidlren's Hospital in Portland, ME. This will be used to brighten the hospital rooms for the kids.
- Donated 6 turkeys to the Free the Z turkey drive for Manna.
- Coordinated Healthy Kids Day in 2011; this is a national program of the Y; locally more than 500 people attended the event.
- In the 2010-11 School Year, Interacters logged over 2000 volunteer hours!
Interact Leaders Club (the club meets every Tuesday, 6 PM at Isaac Farrar Mansion of the Bangor Y.